Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sankt Hans (Midsummer)

Sunday was Midsummer's Day in Denmark. In Sweden, it's a national holiday and a really big deal. It's always on a Friday so that people can celebrate all weekend long.

In Denmark, Midsummer's is important, but not so big as in Sweden. It is always celebrated on June 23 and is called Sankt Hans (or Saint John's). The day is celebrated by lighting bonfires and singing special songs. Historically, effigies of witches were burned on the bonfires, and some of them (including one I saw on Sunday) still burn fake witches today.

In Copenhagen, most of the fires take place in parks and on the beach. In the days leading up to midsummer, I saw a lot of piles of brush set up in parks ready to burn, like this one in Fredericksberg Garden.


On Sunday night, I went to the lakes in the center of the city to see several fires. Some had already been lit when I got there and I waited around for another one to be lit. There were lots of people watching and they cheered and sang when the wood was set on fire. (Should I mention that this second picture was taken after 10 pm?)



As a bonus, there had been a little bit of rain earlier in the day and it paid off with this beautiful rainbow.


Being at the Sankt Hans celebrations made me realize how much I'll miss being in Copenhagen. I'm not a city girl, but Copenhagen is just enough city for me. It's great to be able to go out and join a crowd of people sitting outside and enjoying the evening. Biking with the sun setting and a rainbow in the sky seemed to symbolize to me how magical this city is and how much I have enjoyed my time here.

1 comment:

  1. That picture with the rainbow and the golden sun on the buildings will be a perfect way to end whatever talk/slide shows you will do. I hope to see one. NG

    ReplyDelete