Saturday, February 23, 2013

Learning Danish

Foreigners living in Denmark are entitled to three years of free Danish classes paid for by the municipality in which you live.
Although I may not get much opportunity to use Danish after this semester, I decided that it was worth taking advantage of the free classes and trying to learn some Danish while I'm here.
I had my first Danish class on Tuesday. I'm taking a class for exchange students at CBS that meets once a week. Ziyu and I are in the same class. We have a very experienced teacher with a good sense of humor.
As our teacher said, if you know English, Danish vocabulary and grammar aren't hard. So it's a good thing the pronunciation is difficult, otherwise there would be no challenge. Yes, Danish pronunciation will be the challenge. Apparently small Danes have a hard time learning how to spell because there are so many letters that don't get pronounced; it isn't intuitive moving between spoken and written words. I'm up for the challenge though and looking forward to learning some Danish!

No comments:

Post a Comment