Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekend in Trondheim

The first weekend in March I took advantage of the travel opportunities from Copenhagen and went to Trondheim, Norway where one of my friends from L'Abri lives.

When we were at L'Abri, we did a lot of hiking, so we hoped to do some outdoor things the weekend that I was there. Between my friend having a 17 month old son and extreme weather our outings were limited, but fun nonetheless.





On Saturday, it was very windy and rainy. We went for a walk along the fjord in Trondheim. It was pretty hard going; at times I would be walking as hard as I could into the wind and was still blown backwards. It was also difficult because there was snow and ice on the path. In the picture above, there is mist from a wave coming up behind me and I'm being blown around some. It was a very memorable hike, and it was pretty even if difficult going.



On Sunday it was snowy. We went up a mountain near Trondheim to do some hiking. We thought about cross-country skiing, but my friends didn't think there would be enough snow. However, when we got up there, we discovered that the snow was about knee deep. Again, it was hard going, but really beautiful.


On Monday, I had the chance to explore Trondheim some. It has about the population of Naperville, but is much denser. It also has an old and famous cathedral. I enjoyed seeing the city. Like Copenhagen it has an interesting mix of old and new, but both the old and new there have very different styles.




No comments:

Post a Comment