Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Day of Corporate Cases

Tuesday was an unusual day. It started with a trip into the Danish countryside north of Copenhagen to visit the headquarters of Coloplast, a Danish medical device company. In one of my courses, we have been working since February on a case from Coloplast. Representatives from the company came to our class to talk about the company and the case we should solve. We then worked in teams to come up with our best solution to the case. On several occasions, Coloplast employees came to our class to answer our questions and check on our progress.

On Monday this week we turned in our final papers and on Tuesday we presented our ideas to Coloplast employees at their headquarters. Unfortunately I had to leave right after our presentation because I had a special case activity in another class (more on that below). However, we got some very positive feedback on our idea. They thought it was very new and different, but in a good way and that we had identified some interesting aspects of the problem and come up with a way to change how people view their products. I was only there for about half an hour, but I'm still glad that I went and could present our plan.

I had to get back to Copenhagen because we had a case event in another class! Last week my third class at CBS, Leadership and Communication, began. Tuesday we had a "case conference" about leadership and communication. Representatives (many in high positions) from five different companies came and shared with us about issues of leadership and communication in their companies. The information they shared was interesting because it ranged from internal branding to recruit new employees to public relations in response to protests and political action. They had this case conference at the start of the course so that we can refer to these five examples as we learn leadership theory. I think this is a great pedagogical idea and I'm glad I can be at CBS where they can bring in such experienced and interesting guest speakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment