Monday, April 15, 2013

Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

Shortly after I arrived in Copenhagen, I made a list of the things I wanted to do while I am here. A number of the items on my list include the note: "Wait for good weather."
Although the weather is getting better, I'm not sure I can call it "good weather." Still, my list of good weather activities is too long to wait much longer to get started on, so I decided to go to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art on Saturday.
The reason the museum is a "good weather" activity is because of its location on the sea and it's outdoor sculpture garden. The museum is in a beautiful setting and beautifully combines the indoors and outdoors. I've never been to a museum before that had so many doors that you could go in and out of. The building itself was beautiful and blended well with the setting.


My favorite exhibit at the museum was a display of Tara Donovan's work. She makes sculptures out of unusual, unanticipated materials. The works have organic, natural looks, but are made out of mundane objects. For example, what looks like coral or some kind of rock formation, is actually hundreds of identical buttons glued together:


My favorite work was this one. From a distance, it looks like a wall with some texture to it. When you get close to it, you realize that it is clear plastic straws:


I also had a great lunch at the museum. One thing I like here is that museums take their cafés seriously. Rather than taking advantage of a captive audience, they try to serve really good food. I think the pea soup I had with my lunch was the best pea soup I've ever had!


No comments:

Post a Comment