Friday, April 5, 2013

Ice Hotel

My trip to Sweden started with a desire to travel way north. In Copenhagen, I'm about 14 degrees further north than Chicago is, so it's easier to get there. I've always wanted to see the northern lights and I wanted to go to the Arctic Circle. So, I started looking for something to do either in northern Sweden or Finland. When a Swedish student in one of my classes here mentioned the Ice Hotel (actually ICEHOTEL), I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

The main entrance to the hotel.
I've heard about the Ice Hotel for a long time and been fascinated by it, so as soon as I was reminded about it, going to the Ice Hotel seemed like the perfect destination. (Note: there are multiple ice hotels in different countries, but the one in Sweden is the largest and the original). Ice Hotel is located in JukkasjÀrvi, Sweden, about 125 miles north of the arctic circle.

The Torne River, where the ice is harvested.
Every March, they harvest large blocks of ice from the Torne River. The hotel is located on the banks of the river. The ice is then stored until the following November when they start building the hotel. Every year the hotel is different. They bring in artists to design special rooms. Guests can stay in the hotel from December to April. After it closes for the season, the hotel melts back into the river. By July, it's gone. The hotel is built from blocks of ice as well as what they call "snice" which are blocks made of snow and ice compressed together. The snice has the advantage of insulating, which means the temperature is fairly constant inside the hotel, about 17 to 23 degrees Fahrenheit.

The main entrance.
Main hallway.
Seating area in hallway.
The hotel has 60 some rooms. There are also "warm accommodations," which are cabins on the property. If you're staying multiple nights, they recommend alternating between warm and cold rooms. Next to the actual ice hotel was a building with lockers, showers, and a sitting area. In the evening before bed, a lot of people just hung out there, because there wasn't much else to do. I kept going outside to see if I could see the northern lights and it paid off! I got to see them and it was amazing. Right before you go to bed, you get a warm sleeping bag. The actual beds are made out of ice with reindeer skins on top. Then, you sleep on top in the sleeping bag.

The bed in my room with the sleeping bag.
They recommend wearing one layer of long underwear, warm socks, and a hat. The sleeping bag was really warm, so this was the right temperature. I fell asleep pretty quickly and overall slept pretty well. In the morning, an employee comes to wake you up and they give you a cup of hot lingonberry juice in bed. Staying at the ice hotel was a once in a lifetime experience and I'm so glad I could go!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is sooo amazing! What a great adventure and experience!
    ~Kirstin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,It sounds wonderful yet cold!
    hope all is well.The reindeer also sounded fun .
    Becky

    ReplyDelete